Former Abbey of Saint-Maur-des-Fossés

  1. Home page
  2. VISIT
  3. Our heritage sites
  4. Former Abbey of Saint-Maur-des-Fossés

A vast domain of approximately 3 hectares, the Fossés Abbey was founded in 639. It was one of the most famous religious centers of Île-de-France in the Middle Ages. Many pilgrims from all over the Ile-de-France came to cure gout and epilepsy with the relics of Saint Maur. The falling buildings in ruins in the middle of the XVIIth century, several owners will succeed one another and share the fragmented location of the abbey until 1950. A romantic square was laid out in 1935 then in its extension, a historic park was opened to public in 1982. REMPART volunteer sites to save and restore the vestiges were carried out from 1973 to 1989. Classified as Historic Monuments in 1988, some vestiges and buildings of the abbey are preserved in the park (restored traces of the abbey church and cloister garden, a Gothic pillar of the abbey church, the tower and some surrounding walls from the 14th century) as well as in the historic area closed to the public (a Romanesque wall of the monks' cellar, the cellars in Abbey wine, Notre-Dame-des-Miracles chapel from the 12th and 14th centuries, a neo-Renaissance villa from the end of the 19th century, and a well and cloister gallery from the beginning of the 20th century) all public worksites weekends and youth workcamps organized with the Teenagers Club of the city of Saint-Maur-des-Fossés.


Location : 94100 Saint-Maur-des-Fosses / Ile-de-France / France